Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Trip to the Principal's Office

Remember how I was saying I hated the bus idea... today confirmed it. Keith, Brad and I all gather our things to walk down to pick up Cole. Keith calls it "the Cole fan club" It's like we have been sitting on pins and needles waiting for him to get home. We all walked down 10 minutes early to the stop and waited on the bus. It pulled up. All the kids get off.... except for Cole.

HE'S NOT ON THE BUS

Trying to remain calm and not go crazy on the bus helper, we call the school. Turns out he's in the office waiting on me. Say what? First of all, Thank you God for him being safe and not on a random bus wondering the streets of Songton. Now I'm angry. The teacher got a message saying that I would pick him up and not to put him on the bus. Interesting. That message wasn't from me. By the time we got to the school, the teacher had already left. The school tried calling my cell phone and couldn't reach me (because I was downstairs at the bus stop) They called Christa, my emergency contact, and she was about to go pick him up. She couldn't reach me either BECAUSE I WAS DOWNSTAIRS AT THE BUS STOP!

My poor kid was sad and tired of waiting on us. After we picked him up and asked about his day he told me that he didn't know. He forgot everything while he was waiting so long on us. Haha.

Now, there's several different scenarios that could have led to this misunderstanding. Tomorrow morning I will be at the school bright and early to figure out how this happened. A bit of the back story.... Apparently last year the parents and district superintendents promised they had the funds, room, and availability for an 18:1 teacher ratio - along with an assistant. They had 3 classes and 5 days before school started, the higher ups decided to cut it back to two classes 24 students to each teacher with the max being 29 students per class. WHAT. The parents here are fired up. There's letters being written, calls made, and constant uproar. The other kindergarten teacher had her room set up - and still is! It's just locked behind an unused room. I haven't said anything because we are space A and we're lucky to have a spot. Could the ratio be better, yes. Was is crummy for them to promise one thing and do another, yes. Are they offering the BEST education possible for these kids, not really. Now my child's safety is in danger because a teacher/assistant/office staff can't keep up with 24 kids in a class. I think now I will say something.

Good thing I have until tomorrow morning to calm down.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Cole :( Was he scared at all? I can't believe he wasn't on the bus. Does that mean another child's parent called to pick their kid up from school...and their kid ended up on the bus instead? I hope not.

What a scary feeling to not see him come off of that bus. Hope that school is ready for ol' Mama McDaniel to wreck havoc on that place. He's funny though - he waited too long and couldn't remember about his day :)

Hilary said...

Okay, I would be upset and scared! You have every reason to go up there and give them a piece of your mind. Poor Cole was probably exhausted by the time you got there!!

GeGe said...

Poor baby, what a day - I don't think I would remember what I did either. Watch out school...momma McD is unleased. I was worried about the other kid that was suppose to stay at school - but, got on the bus...did they drop that kid off to nothing? Thankfully, we had the school with Cole.

MelissaK said...

Wow...seriously? Jen-you know what to say and how to say it, tactfully and respectfully-so do it. These things happen all the time. It's just so NOT cool when it happens to our kids.
Find out what happened to the other kid and if that mother is up there with you tomorrow morning and let us all know.