Cole's school schedule is rather unique for a kindergartner. They have a separate Spanish class every morning. Side note: I find it odd they teach Spanish in Korea but what do I know. They have class time, station time (play with toys time), lunch, recess and a separate "special" class. The special class rotates between Art, Music, PE, Library, and Culture Class.
I'm not sure what they do in Culture Class, but it soon became my most dreaded day. It appears a Korean teacher teaches them about "Korean Stuff" according to Cole. Then this teacher hands out Culture coins to students doing good work. These coins are small pieces of cardboard. They are thin, cheap, and flimsy. Every 5 year old's obsession. There's no rhyme or reason to getting a coin, nor does the teacher make sure everyone gets a coin.
Poor Cole would come home upset and angry after every dang Culture Class Day. He wanted a coin so badly. He tried his best in class and he still never got one. So I became one of those parents. I marched straight into the school and brought this up to Dr. Stapleford. Dr. Stapleford does not believe in that sort of reward system and doesn't practice that in his class. Culture teacher can. I guess he has no reign over Mr. Culture Teacher.
There's obvious favorites who get them each week and those quieter children (with darker sandy hair) that don't. Cole had never gotten a coin.... that is until yesterday! Whew! I can't believe the fuss over a dang piece of paper, but he worked hard for it and LOVES it.
Congratulations Cole! I'm so happy for your culture coin experience. I still hate Culture Class day..... and library day when he brings home a book I NEVER would pick out. Then he expects me to read it to him... ugh. Sometimes the use of their own free will drives me batty. But that's a whole other counseling session ;-)
2 comments:
I love that you marched right in and brought it up. I'm such a pansy, I'd never do it. I'd probably go search high and low to buy one myself.
Jennifer McDaniel, I salute you!
Reading that broke my heart! Poor Cole does try so hard. I am so happy he got one! And I think it's great that they teach Spanish. Is he picking up any Korean? He's going to be so internationally educated!
Good job Mom :)
Post a Comment