So Brad started seeing the family and child counselor last week as recommended by the pediatrician here. I forget her real title, it's long. Wait, found it, she's the Child and Youth Behavioral Military & Family Live Consultant (CYB-MFLC) She's the middle guy when it comes to finding out if he should be sent off to specialist. Like if she suggested a hearing test, or a learning disability test, further allergy tests, or autistic testing... I was really torn to take him. I didn't want to look for a problem, but to really look for answers. I need to help Brad, to prepare him for next year and the rest of his life. At times I feel like the problems are just "played" on mommy and daddy, then other times my heart breaks when I see that he truly doesn't "get" things.
Ms Betty is so wonderful. Our first meeting was with Keith, Brad and me. She just wanted to get to know him and for him to open up. They played together and colored. She was able to draw happy/sad/mad/scared faces and asked him questions as they colored. We also talked about some of the quirks that make Brad, Brad.
Our next meeting was just myself. I sat with Ms. Betty and talked about Brad, his fits, his obsessions, his temper, his strong will, his communication. We covered alot. She gets that things are a tad off "typical". She sees that his extreme strong will is going to be an issue especially next year in pre-K. We talked about his behavior and actions in gymnastics. We talked about his ability (or lack there of) to follow a 2 step command. Ms. Betty said that she would meet with him weekly during the rest of out time here. If only for exposure to listening to other adults and their instructions. She sees the behavioral problems. Could there be a slight learning disability, OCD issues? Maybe, but we need to tackle behavior first.
Yesterday she made Brad a book Ben Stops Screaming and Learns to Ask for Help. It is really precious. She incorporated some of Brad's issues as Ben. Ben learns the correct way to stop his fits, and ask for help. Ben learns that big boys get rewarded with things Brad likes back scratches and stickers. Ben learns that his fits keep him from doing fun things like art class when they can't get out the door in time. Ms. Betty made it very personable for Brad. Ben also has a cuddle blanket to help him calm down. Last night we went and bought Brad a super soft blanket. Yesterday was a bad day for Brad so we were able to put the blanket into action right away. So far it works!!!
We go back next week. Thank you Ms. Betty for truly understanding Brad. She gets that he is high strung. She sees that he holds it together for friends and family and then melts down (nice for self implodes) for us/me. She wants to help Brad express himself in positive ways. She wants Brad to keep his passion for what he likes, but also be able to pay attention to the world around him. She wants to help me be the mommy he needs. So often I feel like I've created a monster. I don't want people to experience the monster Brad. I want people to see Brad for all the positive characteristics he has.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go check with TMO to see about shipping Ms. Betty back with us.
4 comments:
Oh Jen,
Brad is such a precious boy and I'm sorry he's giving you cause for concern. I will be praying for you and Keith, and Brad too.
God certainly knew what he was doing when he placed Brad with his parents. You are a wonderful mother and will help Brad work through his behavior issues.
God is not surprised! Psalms 139:13-16
He knew Brad would be a challenge for you just as he knew that Derek would break out in hives at a single drop of watered-down milk protein. But these boys are perfect just as they are.
One day Brad will owe you big time-- be sure to take video now!
I am so glad that you are all getting the help you need. Brad is a wonderful little boy and he is very blessed to have parents like you and Keith.
Hey Jennifer! I have been reading your blod and have my own so I am now following you. Your mom has told me a little about your trouble with Brad. I really hope that you find out what is going on with him. Being a parent is so HARD and having to deal with behavior problems makes it even harder. I really hope everything works out and you get the help you need. Your boys are beautiful!
Jennfier
Jen,
I had no idea that you guys were dealing with all of that. I hope that you can find out the root of this issues so you can find a solution. We will be praying for you guys!!
Post a Comment