Friday, November 5, 2010

Thank You Mr. Bagger at the Commissary Man

I really am not very "crunchy". I recycle, but still love me so preprocessed food. It all started with Seymour Johnson AFB. (did you know that I didn't get the see-more-johnson joke for the first 6 months we lived there? slow on the pick up)

We had to recycle while we lived on base. There was a prison on base and the prisoners would have to separate it all and pick up our trash. Hey, there's always a catch for free lead based paint filled houses with all the 66* air conditioning you can stand. Prisoners were worth it. Then we moved to Idaho, and I kept up with the recycling kick much to Keith's dismay. Sometimes I asked him to take it to base and do it for me. I'm almost positive he dumped it all in the dumpster.

Next pit stop was Korea. They took recycling to the extreme. Did I mention this before? They even recycled food scraps. Along comes Wichita Falls.

For the love... do you know how difficult it is to recycle in this town? I only knew of this little spot on base that would take plastic/newspapers/ and aluminum cans. The city will pick up only organics at our curb (newspapers/cardboard/grass clippings). To recycle tin cans and glass you had to take them to the city drop off out by Wal-Marts.

Honestly - it was a pain in the REAR. I even admit that I started throwing some of it in the trash because there was so much effort involved.

Today I met Mr. Bagger at the Commissary Man. He told me of the recycling mecca on base. "Have you been to the spot out by the Heritage Center by the Missile Gate?" Why no I haven't. I'll check it out. MECCA! This is by far the nicest and more organized recycling center I've ever seen. A one stop drop off for ALL - tin, aluminum, plastic, cardboard, colored paper... ahhhh...

Life just became easier again. So, if you don't recycle, you totally should. Just for one week look at how much plastic alone you throw away.

Now, I'm off to finish my day of car shuttling. Next topic: "What DO you actually DO during the day"

3 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

Not very cruchy, huh?

What about the year of the organic turkey?? ;)

I'm Erin. said...

oops, that was supposed to be "crunchy"

Kim said...

Jen, I am DYING for the "what do you DO during the day" post! That one is going to be GOOD. So stop eating your bons bons and write it!! ;)

Also, the day you got the Seymour Johnson joke was one of the funniest conversations.