Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. Do you think the world became a more dangerous place on September 11, 2001 or are we just more aware of the danger? How has your own life changed as a result of that day?

I think we are just more aware of the danger. The attacks on 9-11 took years to plan. The danger loomed far before that heartbreaking day. I was a flight attendant when 9-11 occurred. It absolutely changed the way we did our job. Since that day we have been at war. Being a military spouse, the thought never leaves your mind. If our loved one isn't over there, our friend's loved one is, or friends of friends... Someone is in constant worry that their child/spouse/parent is in danger. Others are living a life because their loved one didn't make it home. Never leaves your mind....

2. Did you think your parents were too strict when you were growing up? How about in hindsight?

Yes, I felt they were too strict AT THE TIME. I wanted to be able to do more things and have more freedoms. Looking back, they weren't so bad. I survived and didn't get into near as much trouble as I could have.

3. Share one random but candid fact about yourself.

I find it creepy that Cavendar's Boot City doesn't have windows. I can't go in and shop at a place that doesn't have windows. Nevermind the fact that I don't wear western wear. I don't get it (unless it's at Market Hall in Dallas were everything is at buyers cost.... some things deserve exceptions!)

4. Would your nearest and dearest describe you as simple or far too complicated?

I would guess simple. I think I'm a simple kind of gal.... but then again I also think I'm easy breezy. On a scale of one to ten - one being a beach bum and 10 being militant uptight - I would rank myself as a 3. Family and friends disagree! Maybe I'm complicated and don't even realize it. Now I'm finding this question more and more complicated......

5. What is your favorite stadium or carnival food?

Cotton Candy. Hands down, cotton candy. We went to the circus recently and you would FLIP OUT over how expensive the cotton candy was... are you ready..... one bag was $12. I use to make the stuff when I worked at the candy store. I know how much a bag of sugar is - $12 is a flat out crime. I couldn't resist.

6. Tornado, hurricane, earthquake...how many of these natural disasters have you experienced? Which do you think would be the scariest?

I have experienced tornados and an small earthquake. Neither caused much damage so I kind of have a false sense of security around their dangers. I haven't been through a hurricane, but I think you have so much warning to get out and protect yourself..... Hands down, I know how powerful of a force water can be, but unless you are stranded on an island I would say an earthquake would be the scariest.

7. Labor day weekend is approaching so a work related question seems appropriate. Growing up, did your parents assign you regular chores? Were you paid for doing those chores. If you're a parent do you assign chores to your own children? Why or why not?

I had chores growing up. It was more along the lines of keeping our rooms clean, putting up laundry, and doing the dishes. We weren't given a constant allowance, but we were able to do "extra" chores for more money - like organizing the cabinets, or painting the house. I've started a chore chart for the boys. I need to get back on the bandwagon with that, my kids are spoiled rotten!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Tomorrow is my would-have-been due date. Not sure how random that is because it's been all I can think about.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

$12 for candy floss??? Wowzers!

I know what you mean about always thinking about terrorism - we all know someone who is either a relative or a friend, or a friend of a relative who is serving in Afghanistan or Iraq. It is part of our national conscious now.

Anonymous said...

:0 (

Kim said...

We were given a kind of allowance - the $20/week we were given for lunch but never spent it on lunch :) I also remember you always cleaned the kitchen and I always cleaned the living room...about 5 minutes before Mom would get home and it had to be done.


My heart hurts. It's all I've been thinking about too, sister. Love you.

GeGe said...

I think we were cool and hip and not strict.

We did give you $20 a week for lunch/allowance to use as you wanted.

I appreciated the 5 minute clean house - that's exactly like i did before my mom came home

I think that you are a little higher than a 2-3 in the complicated scale

I worry about all of our Service men and women - they are all someones son/daughter/mom/dad/uncle/aunt/friend

I think about you, Keith, the boys and Carrie everyday. I know she is safe in His loving hands and she has a very deep hold of all of our hearts. Love you all

Joyce said...

Wow 12$? Yikes!

I definitely think military families see the world differently...they are in the thick of it and can't pretend otherwise. God bless the ones who are serving and their families too.

Monkey said...

You are right.. I do always think about something happening to my husband because he is military... I just didn't think to put that on my blog. :/

I'm Erin. said...

Praying for you friend. One day you'll be reunited with your little girl.
Love you!

Heather said...

1. I think we are just more aware.
2. No my parents were pretty liberal. They always said if you want to drink fine but drink at home with us. Maybe that's why I'm a borderline alcoholic!? But a safe one!
3. People sometimes say I'm aloof or bitchy but I'm really just insecure.
4. I would hope they would say simple because I'm a pretty straight forward open book type of person but I'm definitely not easy going and tolerant like my Jenn Jenn.
5. Can't think of anything other than alcohol. Please refer to #2.
6. I've been through a few hurricanes and a tornado in Alabama. Hurricanes have lots of warning so I'm not too scared of them. I think earthquakes are scary because they are more unpredictable and I have no experience with them.
7. Yes we had chores and we did not receive allowance. It was more like do this and we will feed you. I try to give the kids chores for money but apparently they would rather not have the money than do the chores.
8. I can't believe I didn't check your blog for 3 whole days and there were three posts I missed. Usually I check every day and have to wait two months for one post.