I'm sitting on my new doorstep with my dogs in a foreign country. My husband is gone with all the money and keys to said door while my children are upstairs in someone else's house doing who knows what...... But let's back up, shall we?
It seems life has placed us in Germany for the next 2-5 years. Keith's job with FedEx opened doors for us to explore new opportunities. (I'm going to positively spin many of these stories for the sheer number of them would cause one to be permanently depressed)
So we said "see you later" to our houses, friends, family, cars, belongings, and every other comfort in life. We spent about a month in total chaos stumbling over one road block after another to board a plane bound for Germany. It was hard, painful, frustrating, stressful, and downright shitty - and that's the positive spin!
I could tell you about the awesomeness of business class and their massage chairs, or the shrimp and scallops in the 4 course meal, but I will sum it up by saying I can never go back to coach. I believe there was a Seinfeld episode about it and it's all the funnier now!
We landed in Germany and it's been one swift kick in the ass. Actually, several of but we're being positive. We've had a productive week while battling jet lag. We registered with the city/country. They track their boarders this way. Crazy concept. You have to register before you can have a bank account. You have to have a bank account for their debit cards. No credit cards accepted here. We ordered a kitchen and bought some couches to sleep on. We're still working out the phone situation.
This morning we checked out of the hotel and arrived at our house. We were told the day before we got here that the basement had severe flooding issues. Turns out it's unlivable for the next two weeks. Yea! We are going to try to rough it in the living room. Oh! The kitchen will take 7 weeks to get here too. Not even a sink! This is as close to camping as I get.
So as the jackhammer is pulling up my floor, I will sit and wait for my husband to return, and Ikea furniture to arrive. I will focus on the positives. The weather is beautiful, I have a beautiful beautiful scphula coming (another post!), and my little family of 4 has found their newest landing pad. Welcome to Germany!
1 comment:
Moving overseas is always an adventure and nothing ever seems to go as you envision as I am sure you know from Korea. But as challenging as it is now, you will look back one day with very fond memories. I pray you guys have a wonderful experience and enjoy Germany!!
Post a Comment