Monday, December 22, 2014

So shocking..

Let's start another blog post about how terrible I am as a consistent blogger. (insert eyeroll) I think I'm honest enough to admit I'm terrible at this and do not even have a good excuse. So - I just wanted to jot down some quick things before I forget them in my failing memory. Brad started off the school year rough. We signed him up for an after school program and he's been assigned a tutor to work with him one on one. Her name is F. Waltmann and we can't get over the change in Brad!!!! Not only is he doing great in school, but his confidence is up, he seems so much more mature, he's making friends, and loving school! We went from 5 hours a night of homework to him saying school was the best part of his day! Totally amazing. Katina Waltmann even invited us over for cake and coffee. Her family is so kind. I will never forget what she's done for Brad. On the flip side, Cole started off really great at school. He was loving the social aspect and making so many new friends. He loved the break time between classes where he dominated the tish tennis (table tennis) tables. Then the parent/teacher meetings took place. It seems his teachers painted the worst of the worst scenarios. Now we're still dealing with the fallout just hoping they don't kick him out of school for the remainder of the year. The hardships of Germany plus the reality of Cole's school situation has caused us to change our bid. I'm ready to move. I wished it could have worked out longer. Keith really likes his job and there's benefits to staying, but I think it's time to leave. The decision now is "Where?" I guess we have a few months to decide. Ah, I love the smell of stress 24/7. I flew home to Texas for a quick trip in November. I can't believe how much I missed understanding people around me, driving, reading the billboards and talking on the phone! Most of all, I really missed my friends and family  It was such a quick trip but was able to see so many. I've vowed to bring the kids back this summer. Cute moments: Brad was really sassy one night and got in trouble for talking back to us. He screamed at us that he had a black heart. God gave him a broken heart like Carrie and now she's dead. I'm always unprepared for what comes out of his mouth. We tried to explain to him the best we could, but Brad is convinced he has a black heart. Our elderly neighbor next door isn't doing well health-wise. Her son has been here quite a bit to help her. I asked the boys "when I am old and have a hard time getting around, will you help me in the car and drive me to the store?" Brad simply stroked my face with his tiny hand and looked right into my eyes and nodded yes. This is why I will buy him a new car and pony. I'm constantly discovering what drives Cole. He really responds to positive reinforcement, building his confidence and praising! He has a rough start to his soccer team this year. We've ironed out a few bumps and now he's really doing well. I think his coach found him a new position on the field and he's really stepping up! I'm so proud of him. I'm sad to leave this type of training. I need to find a way to pick and choose all my favorites and form my own little world. Both boys know the truth of Santa this year. I wish we could have recorded Brad's reaction. Cole warned us not to tell him. We should have listened. He was so mad. There was a whole rant about how Santa is dead. I'm a little sad how this season will be. They already don't care about finding Jelf the Elf anymore. I feel robbed of so much time with them. They celebrate St. Nicholas Day over here so there isn't a "Santa" per se. Ugh. Germany.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

So much news to talk about... I'm so happy to hear B is doing well. Hate to hear tha Cole is struggling though. As much as I was looking forward to visiting Germany, I'm excited that you could be home soon (read "home" as Flower Mound or at least TX). I miss you all a ton! ❤️ You guys!!