Sunday, February 2, 2014

Change of latitude, change of attitude

I started to blog about our rough transition to Germany, but it was so bad it sounded like a depressing story. Even I was sick of reading what was essentially a complaint list. On one hand, I wanted it documented (in case my husband gets the hairbrained idea of coming back) and on the other, I'd just as well forget the nightmare.

It's been six months since our arrival. I had no idea a beating could last that long. I think I'm coming out of my depression and realize I need a change in attitude. I miss so much of home it's not even funny. However, I'm here and I need to set the tone for the boys. Keith would also appreciate an end to the constant "stupid idea" bashing. After all, this wasn't ENTIRELY his fault.

In my attempt to adapt, I'm forcing myself out more. It's so difficult to put yourself out there and make friends, but it has to be done. I'm forcing my kids to do it so I might as well walk the walk.

There's many things that are growing on me. I often wonder if it would ever catch on in the States. I do love the ease of riding the train, the yellow light before it turns green, the way they dispense medication, the veterinary care, how dog friendly the entire country is, the trained dogs still amaze me.

Pizza Boy delivery drivers will never earn a good spot, but it sure is easy being close when I don't feel like cooking.

We've had tea and cake with our German neighbors, and I've met a few German women who are amazing and funny.

I'm coming to terms that I might have to learn the language. My mental block is huge, my brain is small.

February will be a month of change. I'm here, let's try to embrace it. Gulp. Here we go........

No comments: