Welcome to glimpses of our life. Here are our funny times and ordinary day times. This is the story of my little boys growing up. It's the story of our family.
Sunday, April 27, 2014
Lost Wallet
My husband is a very bright man. Keith is funny, charming and very smart. He also has a habit of misplacing things. Normally this isn't a big deal because I am a very good finder. I like to think if forgetting where he placed things keeps important plane flying information in his head, then I'm happy to do my finding part. Most of the time.
Keith was about 20 minutes out from leaving on a trip. Suitcase packed, id badge, uniform..... then I hear it "Hey, Jenn... have you seen my wallet?"
We started searching high and low. The clock is ticking and he has to leave. No money, credit cards, missing military id, and most importantly his residency card. That little thing that lets him back in the country. He rolls the dice and heads off on his trip anyway. I assure him, his wallet HAS to be in the house and I'll find it.
I turned the place upside down. I can't believe we've acquired so much crap in the small amount of months we've been here. I searched everywhere. I tried backtracking every step. I made phone calls. Our neighbors were in on the hunt. We didn't leave a stone unturned. I went to bed worried it was gone forever. ****** DING DONG ******
The doorbell rang at 1:40am. I laid in bed panicked. Surely I was hearing things. ****** DING DONG ****** Gulp. I'm in a foreign country. My husband is gone and somebody is at my door. A slight feeling of logic hit me that maybe it was the neighbor upstairs and they were having an emergency. (that was my hope! - what kind of logic is that!?!?!) I run upstair sot the door. We have this fancy camera on the wall that shows us who is standing at the door. It's not my neighbors! GULP. He rings it a third time. As I look at the camera, I can see him holding a wallet! Keith's wallet!!!
I refuse to open the door, so I not-so-bravely call out "hello....." In perfect English he says "Yes, I found your mate's wallet". I was so excited and scared all at the same time. I asked him to please place it in the mailbox. He said sure and walked away. Then my crazy set it. I was sure it was a ploy to push his way into my house. I waited and waited without making a peep. I couldn't hear a car drive away. I didn't see which way he went, but I was dying to open the mailbox. The only problem was it required me to open the door!! I waited about 15 minutes and did a quick ninja grab of the mail! And there it was. His wallet with EVERYTHING intact. Including the 200 Euro. I wish I was thinking clearly enough to tell him to take the cash, ask him where he found it, or not be such a sissy to tell him thank you in person.
I probably won't ever see him again. I can't erase the picture from the monitor from my mind. I hope our paths cross again. We've had such a crappy adjustment here, this slice of humanity is just what we needed to turn a new page.
Thank you stranger. Your good dead will be paid forward. And I'm stapling Keith's wallet to his forehead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment