Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sucky

Remember the time I said Korea was so safe and friendly? Remember when I left my purse in a bar with lots of cash on a Saturday night and the bartender kept it and returned it - untouched? Remember when Keith left my wallet on the ride at Everland with lots of cash (I promise those are the only two times I've ever carried cash) and it was returned untouched? Those days are over.

Fridays are "popcorn fridays" at Cole's elementary school. I volunteer to help pop a bag of popcorn for every kid and teacher there. It's something the PTO does for fun and moral. Anyway, last Friday the ladies were talking about how bad theft has gotten around here. They were sharing stories of what's going on at the High School and people who have been caught trying to break into the houses on base... SHOCKING. I'm telling you, you can learn a lot at Popcorn Friday. I share this with Keith and he's in disbelief that Korea could be a place of locking doors and keeping your eye out. We go on with our weekend.

Sunday rolls around and Keith travels to Seouen to play soccer. He takes his camera bag with EVERYTHING in it: the camera and all his lenses, filters, and collection of garb that I have no idea of their names or purpose. He takes pictures and before the game starts he puts the bag in his trunk. Obviously someone was watching because when he got home, the camera bag was gone. They left the iphone, GPS, and his work backpack, but took the camera bag. He was/is devastated.

Oh, my heart dropped for him. Those near and dear to Keith quickly realize how well he takes care of his things - starting with family all the way down to his shoes. He's a believer in getting the best and taking care of it to last forever. Examples: me and Merlin, 'nough said ;-) Trust me. Try driving his car 3,001 miles between oil changes. It WILL become a top priority in life - and it better be done yourself to ensure it's changed properly. I know the kind of care he put into researching and picking out the best lenses. I witnessed the guy baby them and clean them with all different kinds of special cloths and brushes. I saw him excited over learning a new interest and quickly become a technical expert on all things Nikon. To know somebody took it away so quickly is hurtful. We both realize it's stuff, but it doesn't stop the immediate pain. I'm sorry honey. I know I've teased you about what's gone into your hobby, but if I could replace it all for you today I would.

Our silver lining is that all of the pieces were insured so we're just waiting till Monday morning in the States to call USAA. Ugh. Sucky. USAA has always treated us well so I'm sure I'll have a post singing their praises in the next few weeks. They have a tough job ahead of them because they might not realize how picky Keith can be when it comes to his electronics. Then again, they deal with military members. I'm pretty sure he's not the first "type A" they've worked with.

Totally unrelated, we have a handful of mink blankets that are so soft and fuzzy. I've washed a couple of them and they seem to have lost some their softness. We're down to a few of "original softness" blankets and Keith makes the comment "Boys, I hope you don't pee on these and make us wash them anytime soon" Wouldn't you know that they had an accident THAT very night? Poor hubby, he's not having a very good weekend.

5 comments:

gina marie said...

UGH! My heart dropped. That is the worst! USAA is great, I am sure he will have everything replaced soon. I was without my camera for two weeks having it repaired and I felt like a lost little puppy. And to top it off...the blanket?!?!? Poor guy:-).

I love your blog BTW...you are such a funny and witty writer!

Kim said...

When you first started this post, I thought it was going to be about some kid at school that stole Cole's popcorn or backpack or something. This is much worse. I am so sad for him :(

Your blog post describes Keith perfectly - he does take excellent care of what he has. You guys are so smart to have had everything insured - most people don't think to do those things. And I'm glad that person didn't take all of your Thailand memories with him when he stole that camera. I probably wouldn't have even downloaded the pictures yet and lost everything.

Today will be a better day. Sending hugs from Texas.

I'm Erin. said...

Oh Keith. I'm so sorry :(

Sucky is a good word.

Stubug said...

Hey Jen and Keith,
I'm loving reading your post - - and saddened to hear of the swiped camera. When you get to Texas, you can borrow Stuart's until yours is replaced! We love you guys and can't wait to see you. The Airstream is ready when you want to come for a visit; you'll have your very own clubhouse to stay in.
Love and hugs, Linda & Stu

Jennifer Dudley said...

Oh my goodness! His Camara! That makes me so sad! Keith is an amazing photographer and I can tell he loves it. I will pray that you get a replacement. I also hope you did not lose pictures. I am so so sorry.