Wednesday, March 24, 2010

1.5 down, 1.5 to go!

I told Cole there were three things he needed to learn how to do before we left Korea so he will be ready for first grade. Do you like how I impose lists and goals upon my young children. Not that I have any goals, but I like a good list from time to time.

I told him:
1. He needed to be able to tie his shoes
2. He had to be able to wipe his hiney - we're still working on it.
3. He had to be able to read

Solid yet important goals. It just so happened that the velcro wore out of his tennis shoes and we had to go to the BX to find a replacement. Warning, small rant ahead. I really do not like the selection at the BX. They have the $10 generic shoes or the $40 name brand. Nothing in between. I've purchased the $10 shoes before and they fell apart in two weeks. So you're pushed into buying the $40 CHILDREN'S SHOES. I can't get over it. I can't remember the last time I bought myself a pair of $40 shoes.

Of course Cole falls in love with the $40 pair because it came with a key chain. Genius marketing ploy. I was slightly irritated that I was about to spend that much money, so I told him that if I bought this pair he had to learn to tie them on his own. The next morning it was time to get ready for school and guess who takes his new shoes out of the box and immediately ties them on his own?! Cole. Little stinker, holding out on me all these months. He learned to tie his shoes and never said a word. He now has new shoes and he's tying them like a pro. $40 well spent.

We also bought some new books and Cole's been reading them on his own each night!! We're still working, but I think he'll be more than ready for first grade!!

Ahh... the toughest parenting trick yet. The wiping of the hiney. Let's just say that the bidet hasn't been used in a while. I'm still having to do a "final inspection", but he's at least doing something on his own. Mucho progress.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Cole's wiping habits will be forever captured on the world wide web.

:)

I can't wait to listen to him read!

I'm Erin. said...

Alex isn't wiping her hiney yet either. It's my goal this summer.

Congrats on having a reader! Yea Cole!

nana said...

Jenn, we need to talk.............

MelissaK said...

Go COLE!!! And, GO MOM!!! You both ROCK!