Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Disservice

We didn't have any plans today and the boys had $10 burning holes in their pockets. I took them to the fancy little toy store at The Shops at Highland Village. It's a really neat store. Full of toys that you wouldn't find in regular box stores. Toys that spark the imagination and all set out to play. The place is a bit sensory overload and the boys loved it.

Now, this thought has crossed my mind before, but I think I was a little in shock this morning. They are so spoiled! All the cool toys other kids were playing with, my boys had. They wanted things and I found myself telling them over and over "you already have that.." It was honestly embarrassing.

What have we done? Is this a good thing? I'm torn between wanting to show the boys the world and being blessed to offer then so much, and then in disbelief that all of that could be GOOD for them.

Then we went to Barnes and Noble to pick up a book and while I was checking out, they were acting like monkeys. Brad had his shoes off, they were wrestling on the floor under the bargain books table, they were loud, they were screaming and playing chase..... HORRIBLE! They just got new toys and couldn't be still for 3 minutes while I was checking out. Connection? I'm leaning towards an astounding YES. I'm a horrible parent.

I guess there will be some serious downsizing when we get our household goods from Idaho. We survived with less in Korea. I guess I'm still processing the differences between the culture over there vs the culture over here. How easily we've slipped right back into it. The buying, the getting, the collecting, the spending... It was an eye opening morning.

2 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

I think we all feel that way at times.
You need to talk some sense into me Jen, because I've been giving some thought to not getting cable/dish in NC.
Am I crazy?
I mean, it seems like it could only be good for our family, but then what would I do without reality tv??

MelissaK said...

I am right there with you Jen-and I did not even go to Korea. You are definitely the BEST mom-never doubt that! Remember, we are on this walk together. We can keep each other straight;)
The fact that you even spend time pondering these facts of life speaks volumes about your rich and profound character. I feel like I am in the presence of greatness when I am with you.