I was a gymnast when I was a little girl. I made the team at Lewisville Gymnastics Center wearing my lucky number 12 (Cole's current soccer # - coincidence? I think not!)
We practiced everyday for hours. Then we had meets on Saturdays. I loved it. I quit after a couple of years. I couldn't get over my fear of doing backhand springs on the balance beam. I did them, then fell on my head, and decided, I didn't like to do them anymore.
Brad is taking gymnastics. It's just a little class to keep him active and feeling accomplished. I don't expect him to stay in it for life. Half the time he doesn't want to go anyway.
As I sit and watch Brad, the "team" practices all over the gym. I watch the coaches spot them, and I can instantly feel the hand on my lower back, the sense of them there for they gymnast even tough they weren't really needed. I watch these girls and see the equipment. I miss it all. But, I do have some realizations to discuss.
They wear leotards with these little hot pants over them. GENIUS. Why in the world did we have to wear "trunks" with them hanging all out anyway? AND we use to wear this stupid band over our tummies to remind us to "suck in" - not these girls. The elastic bands are gone, and nasty trunks are gone. Perfect!
I might as well be paying team prices. $50 a month for Brad to run around. Listen, when I was little we had a class with one teacher. Brad only has 4 little kids in his class, but there are 8 different classes going on at once. They have all these stations set up with 2 instructors a station. Then the kids rotate to the next event. It's mass chaos. I'm paying for all these high school kids to play with Brad on the equipment. What if I did have a child who's serious about this.... oh... that's right - PRIVATE LESSONS ($$$$$)
THEN, Cole wanted to have his birthday party there. I went to sign him up and they promptly asked me for $175! WHAT?! For an hour and 1/2 they wanted that much money. I think I'll pass. Please stay tuned for the deep end I dove off for the Indiana Jones Party!!
1 comment:
Trunks were so gross. You were so good at gymnastics! You should take an adult class. I'm come to your meet.
Post a Comment