Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ego training.... Check

I really should write more often. My boys are growing and changing so fast. They are a blink away from being grown ups. I don't like it at all.

For whatever crazy reasons, I never read several of the "classic" books as a child. I know a few were even required readings. How I skipped them, I'll never know. One of my Christmas gifts was the book Where The Red Fern Grows. It's one of Keith's favorite all time books and he's wanted to read it to the boys for a while now. For the past week, we've all sat around together and read a couple of chapters a day. The boys are really into it. In fact, everytime I finish a chapter I say "the end" and close the book. It's always followed by pleas to keep reading.

Tonight I read the part where Billy is at the championship coon hunt and he's walking around the camp looking at all the other dogs. He overhears somebody say "isn't that the boy with those hounds?" and his head fills with so much pride it could burst.

Enter Cole. He stops me and says "kinda like me..... When I won that soccer trophy?". Ooh, yes. I stopped reading and told him he was so excited just like Billy. Then Cole asks..."what did I win that for again?". He was fishing for me to tell him all the good things the coach did when he got the trophy. As if he didn't remember. Because he's cute and only 8, I went off on Coles talents.

Umm, honey? Can we return to the book now?


1 comment:

Kim said...

He kills me, that one. So funny!