Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy New Year, What's My Talent

I guess my chattiness comes in waves. It appears I have had nothing to say the past month. Although my kids would beg to differ, I'm just kind of BLAH. Let me just say that Korea isn't as much fun when it's that cold outside. I guess I don't remember cold like this from Idaho. Or maybe the fact that Mountain Home had so much more stuff to do... figure that one out!

We have a case of the winter blues. I shouldn't complain after the near perfect and LONG fall, but I will. It's what I do. It's cold, and we're stuck inside a tiny apartment. We check the mail on base and that about wraps up our day. Life is boring and pretty groundhog day-ish. I hear it gets better come March. I'm counting down the days.

So today my husband and I touched on a subject he loves to bring up. Work. This is what you get when you marry a busy body. He's constantly thinking and scheming .... new business ideas, more school, buying, selling..... more, more, more. Me? I think about what color of toenail polish would make my feet prettier. Naturally in his constant state of planning he would like my future work plans once the kids are both in school. Umm, I dunno. He's talked about this for about 6 years and 3 months. Over and over.. I would say "please, just let me think about potty training" "please just let me worry about laundry, packing, moving, ect..." But the time has come for me to formulate something.

Listen. I left a job I loved. I left a job I would go back to in a heartbeat if it weren't for HIS job. If we settle back down into a place, I'm calling SWA as fast as my little fingers can dial. Which is pretty fast because of all the expert gaming I can do on the itouch.

See, there's been ladies here with talents who have side jobs. Christa did/does photography. She was so busy here in Korea. I'm not kidding... 2 shoots a day several days a week. She was good! Heather teaches gymnastics 2 days a week at the youth center. They are bringing home something, but they also have the talent to do that. This is where our conversation leads: What is my talent? Umm, I dunno. I can read a mean load of blogs. I could converse fully in Reality tv forums. I'm almost all expert in Build-A-Lot. I can make so-so crappy food. I can't even teach my 3 year old his colors. What's a girl to do? I'm talentless. I think I am just mediocre at several things. Not just one that I could pursue for an income. Some days I can't even manage this house and the boys who mess it up.

Keith says to go back to school. Interesting. And expensive. This is my plan and what I think I would really like. Substitute teaching. I would be in the schools with the boys. I would know their teachers and friends. I could see them and understand what is going on with their days. Class field trip? No problem, I don't hire in that day. It's something and still staying involved in the boys lives. That's all I want to be anyway. Their mom.

OR... I just have another baby and put this idea on the back burner for a few more years. I'm positive I'll have a talent by then ;-) In the mean time, I don't think this shade of blue is working out on my toes.

7 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

First, thanks for an update :)

Secondly, you are gifted in so many areas-- just not all of them are compensated monetarily.
You are such a wonderful hostess, a giving and unselfish person, a great friend, and an amazing mommy. And I think you're an awesome cook!
God values those things far more than your ability to pull in some cash.
Tell Keith I say he's so lucky to have you even if you never contribute another dime to the relationship!
I think you'd be a great substitute teacher if that really interests you.
Or maybe a party planner--you did so well with the Christmas party that year ;)
But seriously, your talent for reality tv and blogs should definitely be compensated. You are heads and tails about everyone there!
Love you and miss you friend!

GeGe said...

Yea for the update! I check everyday and nothing. You are a good blogger - maybe start your own blog thingy. You have lots of talent...you are very compasionate - you could go back to school to be a nurse (PRN - work when you want to, or anything in a hospital. You could go back to SWA - and i could babysit. Who says you have to work...you have a rich husband...

Jennifer Dudley said...

Jennifer just as I had a year left before Brian was going to send me back to work full time, I had another baby. hum?? Funny how that happened. I really think you are excellent at writing. I really enjoy your posts. You are a very talented mommmy!

Wendy said...

You are so funny and sound like me and my sister...we have that same conversation all the time. Another great thing with subbing is that you can put on there you don't want to be called in the morning so you have only pre-scheduled jobs. Or you could just be a teacher? I think you would be great. And don't forget that you can go to mycaa.com and get 6k in a grant for continuing your education.

Wendy said...

oh and one more bit: Our preacher said on Sunday to not focus on your own inadequacies (sp?) but to focus on God's adequacies and you will be able to acccomplish anything!

Jen McD said...

I have good friends. Thanks ladies. (and mom too ;-)

ps - if anyone should be a national blogger it's Erin. She's HYSTERICAL! Check her out if you find the need to bookmark every blog you come across. I bet she makes the way to the tops. She's even more infectious in person.

Kim said...

Many things to say here.

1. I also feel like I need a talent or a good hobby or something. I am lacking in that area.

2. I think you would be a great teacher...but think of your boys here. Would you have wanted mom and dad subbing at Lamar or Marcus? Never knowing what class Mom could turn up in that day? (No offense parents...but you know it's true.) The reasons you want to sub are bad ones. (No offense sister.) Don't get a job so you can spy on your kids.

3. I'm a fan of more babies.

4. You have lots of time before B is in school all day. By then, you'll know where you'll be and can figure out a plan.

5. Mom has a good idea with the nurse thing. You always wanted to be a midwife...go back to school! The great thing about healthcare is that you can find a job anywhere and it's always going to be in demand.

6. Post Erin's blog link please!

7. I think you're an awesome cook too. And I promise I'm not making a chicken wrap roll-up joke here. Serious.