Awhile back I had a "what if" discussion with Keith. I can't even remember how we got on the subject, but the jest of it was.... If you found a certain amount of money on the ground, where's the line between keeping it and turning it in?
Do you pick up a quarter? A dollar? Do you save a twenty? Anything over $50 do you call the cops? Where's your line?
Go figure, but Keith and I didn't see eye to eye. I thought anything over $20 you should turn in. Keith thinks that if it's unmarked with NO way of identifying it, finders keepers.
Today was a parenting test. Cole found $4 in the hallway at school. He told me he as he pulled it out of his backpack ready to buy something at the bookfair. I told him that someone lost that money. It could have been their lunch money, money they earned for a special book at the bookfair, or change their parents will be upset if they lost. We went to the office and turned it in. Here's where I'm wondering if it was the right thing to do..... The secretaries were so proud of him. They made a big deal of the good dead and said they will make a special announcement over the whole school tomorrow morning. He was so embarrassed!
I'll have to see how it goes tomorrow. I hope he understands what it means to do the right thing. And money is never ours till we've earned it. For a prize I bought him the dang $10 book he wanted at the Fair. Ugh... now I'm gonna have to read Bionicles. Why do they keep picking things that I have ZERO interest in?
3 comments:
What a great way to teach Cole to think of others first!
Good job :)
OMG. Sister, you're killing me. I can tell you exactly where you and Keith had that conversation, because I was there - we were walking on base in Seoul. Remember, I found that $20 bill at the post office? And your arguement was soooo not "money is not ours until we earned it" - you were the one making fun of me for always giving money that I found to the church!! I'll agree that you were not as finders-keepers mindset at Keith, but you weren't that far off. I think your limit was $50, not $20 :)
That said - way to do the right thing with Cole!! I knew you'd come around ;)
That was so the right thing. Good job for both of you!
Post a Comment