Saturday, April 25, 2009

Blog = Gripe

Ok - the past few posts seem like I'm only using this place to gripe. Don't fret.... I gripe in real life too!

I bought Dr. Dobson's Strong Willed Child in an attempt to understand Brad and regain my sanity. Now, this is the 3rd book of his I've read, and I have come to my own personal conclusion. A conclusion that I can only make on my own personal blog because it almost goes against the "Christian Card". I can not reccommend this book, or the other 3 I've read to anyone. I don't get it. His books are lots of fluff and little meat. Tons of stories, lots of analogies, dresciptions of behavior.... no FIXING! Sorry Dr. Dobson, but I was wanting you to give me an outline on how to deal with Brad's will. He addresses Brad's age group in a total of 3 pages. He tells a story/apologizes to Dr. Spock for a total of 28 pages. After each chapter he has Q&A - dealing with issues TOTALY unrelated to Strong Willed Children. Example: Do I tell my child that her new sibling is adopted. What? I seriously flipped back and forth thinking it was some kind of misprint. They got a few wrong pages in his book. I respect him and the Biblical backing of his advice. I just don't think I could ever refer to this as my child rearing "bible" (as the lady in the book store stated)

I took the book seriously. I attacked it with a highlighter. Do you know what I've learned? When you decide to take on a battle - WIN. Give him clear understanding of what to expect before you _______ (go to the vet's office). Don't crush his spirit. Got it.

The boys are really cute. They got up and went downstairs. Brad opened jelly beans and Cole had an apple. Brad's extra tooth has poked through. I am not sure how it is going to squeeze into his mouth. I know he has a big gap, but there's two teeth fighting for position. He is my high mantenience child. He requires/demands the most attention. And if ever there was going to be something against the "norm", it's B. He's also the most loving. He has the ability to soften your heart with a blink of his eye. He's funny. He's my Brad. I almost can't wait to watch him grow up!

My Cole. He has the most amazing memory. He recalls things I have long forgotten. He knows names, dates, and ages. He remembers where he was and how old, what else was going on, and what we did next. Everyone is his friend. When I pick him up from school he's always playing with somebody different. He's always moving and jumping around. He's happy and tenderhearted. He a "tell him once" kind of kid. He's a boost to my mommy self esteem, although I can not take any credit. He's textbook perfect. I'm not sure if he's already getting "easier" or it just seems that way compared to others in the house. He's fun.

Now I must get ready for the 3rd soccer game of his 3rd season - and he's number 3! Totally a good day - minus the fact that Daddy is gone.

No comments: