Several weeks ago I took Brad in for a food allergy test. His eczema has gotten worse and his fits are out of control. Keith and I are at a loss. We thought if there was a slight allergy to a food we could rule it out then life could be a little more even keeled around here. Keith had allergies growing up. His parents swear after he started allergy shots he became a different kid behaviorally. Great - Sign Brad up!
They did a blood draw and tested him for just about all they can. Every kind of nut under the sun, every fish/shellfish, wheat, eggs, milk, dog dander, cat dander......
My mommy gut thought he had a slight allergy to milk. Boy was I ever right. High levels of antibodies in the blood indicate a food allergy. If it measures >.35% he is considered NOT allergic. Well, my mommy sense was right on, his milk allergy was a whopping .38%. The Dr. even went as far to say that he would almost consider that lab error vs any type of allergy we need to be concerned with. While I am thankful he isn't allergic, because I have seen a precious boy with many allergies firsthand, we are back to square one.
Why can't I put my finger on his skin condition. We have moved/lived in 4 VERY different climates during his little life (NC, ID, TX, and Korea) No improvement. It's not like we're running from Oak trees or high pollen. We've changed and noted laundry detergents, using the most sensitive soaps, lathering on Aquaphor 2 times a day with prescription creams - and Aquaphor ain't cheap ya'll! Short baths - check, Humidifier - check. His skin right now is broken out, bloody tops, and red. I'm so afraid he'll scar himself with his constant itching.
He's miserable and in turn has a miserable temper to go along with it. Why should he be a peaceful kid when his skin is raging under his clothes? Would you sleep through the night if you itched in your sleep? He's 3, his skin is reacting to something all the time, he can't sit still, he can't be reasoned with, he's not getting a full nights sleep...... All these little things are adding up to HUGE breakdowns. Must figure this out to insure he makes it to his 4th birthday.
3 comments:
Maybe he's allergic to bugs. Yes, Dr. Aunt Kimi says he is allergic to bugs and cannot hold them in his hands anymore. Tell him now.
My poor boy :( That's strange that they can't pinpoint anything. Can they give him a hydrocortizone shot or something to help clear him up?
I completely thought you were on with the allergy route. Is the skin test a more reliable test? If so, trust your Mommy instinct and think about getting him tested.
Poor guy. I hate that he is so miserable, and in turn, is making you guys crazy. Does the dr have any other ideas? What have you found online?
Give him a hug and a kiss from us!!!
Oh Jen, I hate that he's having troubles :(
I'm so glad that he's not allergic, but it's also very hard to just not know what's causing the problems.
I'll brainstorm and see if I can think of anything else to try!
Post a Comment