Saturday, October 17, 2009

Wreckerator

I'm trying to plan out Cole's birthday party. I am feeling slightly guilty since I haven't "planned" a party for him since he was 3. In Mountain Home we just hung out with our super close friends and enjoyed cake. This year he wants a party. Since we're in Korea, there aren't a whole lot of choices. You could have your party at the community center or the bowling alley. We've been here 2.5 months and have been to 3 parties at those places.

Totally thinking outside the "norm" here - we're having a small party at the house! I ordered all the stuff to later find out that Oriental Trading always arrives a MONTH after they promise. Lovely. I researched Star Wars themed parties and the games to play. I love the internet. It totally allows me to seem in-the-know with those silly movies and super creative too. My next big hurdle was the birthday cake. A girlfriend gave me an idea: Cakeballs, but shape them to look like stormtrooper helmets. Genius! Can't you just imagine these:

looking like these:

I can! I set out this evening to do a trial run. I wanted to make sure I could shape them and draw the designs. Piece of cake (hahaha)

Not really. Who would have thought the hardest part would be melting the chocolate? It was. And let me tell you. If you can't even melt chocolate, you could wind up with something like this:

So, desperation lead to using a pastry brush to apply a coat of white chocolate. It's only going downhill from here.
In order to prove I tried with all my might, please take note of my finished product:
It can't be a true cake wreck since I'm not a professional, but this is definitely NOT what I had pictured in my head. Erin, you were SO right ;-) I'm ordering a cake in the morning.

5 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

I hate to say I told you so... ;)
Kidding! I thought you did a great job for what you had to work with. Blame it all on the wrong kind of chocholate.
I bet it tasted good anyway!

GeGe said...

Man, I think it was the white that did you in...what about frosting or thinner chocolate? The unfrosted ones looked great..:) Love you all - wish I was there to help you...

Kim said...

Good effort sis. Very cake wreckish of you :)

Hilary said...

I'm impressed you even tried it AND thought to do a trial run. I would have done it the day before, and then would have been scrambling for a cake. Sounds like a great b-day party!

Wendy said...

That is so funny! But you know I admire you for trying. I always see awesome cakes and say I can do that and then I try and yeah not so much. I trying to figure out now what I am going to do for Syd's cake. Tell Cole a super happy birthday for us on his day! It seems like forever since that 3rd birthday with pumpkin painting!!