Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Class in Session

When I was younger my mom would ask me what I did at school today, and I never had an answer for her. Then Cole started preschool and everyday I would ask what they learned... he never could answer me. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I think we've decided to home school Cole. He's still on the waiting list, but there's several reasons I hope he doesn't get in. He's already completed kindergarten so for him to repeat it would only be for social purposes. It's all day, and he has to ride a bus. He would leave at 7:15am and come home around 3:30. All for social purposes. It's on base and attendance would be taken. Keith's schedule is 3 days on, 3 days off 1pm to 1am. If he has to work a weekend, he would never see Cole. And, we would not be able to travel like we wanted to because of the attendance policy.

Then part of me wants to try it. I mean, there will never be another time where it would be logical to take him out and try homeschooling. I hope this time together this year will be priceless when I send him to 1st grade next year. I also found a homeschooling group that meets on base so the kids can hang out together. He really got along well with one of the girls there. I signed him up for soccer and his new friend Jake is on the team. We've signed up for MOPS and other social ventures for him to particapate. So for all these reasons and more, we're 99% sure even if a school slot is available, we'll home school.

Just to test the waters before the base school starts (Aug 31) we started class last Monday. We are working on handwriting, math, and spelling. We did a few pages out of the workbooks and did shelfwork. Keith came home and asked what he learned in school today.... guess what... Cole didn't have an answer. I take it to mean, we did a pretty good job!

4 comments:

Kim said...

You're teaching spelling? This can't end well for Cole.

Just kidding sister :)

Keith McDaniel said...

I think I'll have to teach Cole spelling, and Jen will be invited to class too!

I'm Erin. said...

Keep us posted! I want to hear all about your experience homeschooling.

Kim said...

Keith, please get video of this.