Everything here is served family style. One big plate and everyone shares. They bring us pickles (for some reason pickles are served with everything - even the pizza joint will give you a side of pickles), another corn dish that Brad liked, and some kind of fermented white cubes. Brad is our "Mikey." He ate it, but wasn't going back for seconds. For the record, I just don't throw things at my preschooler. I force my husband to eat it too... in case it's poisonous. I'm not sure of my line of thinking there, but maybe Keith will be able to explain why he's puking his guts out later in the evening so I have a better idea on how to take care of Brad. Thanks honey, because there was NO WAY I was going to try it.
Soon the chicken arrives. Interesting. I am really doubting this is chicken. It's too tiny. It appeared to be the size of a squirrel. There were wings that looked like Merlin legs chopped up and coated in seasonings. I've seen more meat on crab legs if you know what I mean! Speaking of the seasonings. Keith got his wish. It was FIRE hot. Apparently "teriyaki" means very spicy! Upon closer inspection of the menu, we picked the only picture with a red circle next to it. Leave it to the Americans to set their stomachs ablaze. Overall it wasn't too bad - as long as I convinced myself it was truly chicken. Keith says he's seen the size of chickens around here and they are tiny. I think he was just trying to be nice. I'm happy to say I ate it, AND we got the hot kind so we don't have to go back anytime soon.
Shortly after I got here, I decided I needed a new purse. I brought my small COACH bag, and it wasn't going to cut it for what I needed. We went to the PUMA store and I got a large bag to carry my venturing-in-a-foreign-country arsenal of supplies.
For some reason... (maybe this has to do with him being related to me), Cole became obsessed with wanting a bag too. Except he wanted a purse. Every store we would go in, my son was looking at the purses and crying for one. Keith immediately needed to put a stop to this. We went into a luggage and embroidery shop and found little backpacks. They got to pick the color, and what design they wanted on it. You can imagine, it involved fighting, crying, and switching the order 15 times before all was said and done. The worst part was leaving without the backpacks. They would be ready in 5 days. Let me just say, it was a MISERABLE 5 days. Cole asked, on average, 349 times a day if his backpack was ready and when we can go pick it up. This morning the day arrived. He was up at 7:01am and the first words out of his mouth were asking if the store was open.
We picked up the backpacks and my little men are so excited. Except now he wants to go camping and hiking with his new purchase. Forget that! I should have bought him a purse. Purses don't camp ;-)
I guess I should get use to all the roughhousing the boys keep doing. The other day Brad headbutted Cole right in the face. He even has a shiner to show for it. It hasn't slowed either of them down. I seriously sound like a crazy lady telling them to stop it. I repeat myself so often even I get sick of my voice. Is it wrong to secretly hope for a small blood inducing injury? Wait a sec.. we had one of those in Texas, so that's not gonna work. What will it take? I fear for them smashing through the glass windows here. I really don't know how we haven't been kicked out of the apartments yet.
Our neighbor above us is doing a little remodeling. The jackhammer has been on for two days straight. Today I found this outside our elevator - bags, lots and lots of bags full of concrete. Should I be worried they will come through the ceiling soon? That's alot of floor!
Oh, I should also introduce you to our newest pet. Meet Fuzz Ball Wuzzy, and yes, the boys named it.
He (or she) is a Banana Spider that lives outside their toyroom window. It's pretty tiny for a banana spider, but she's growing fast! Last night she shed her exoskeleton. The boys are in heaven. She's even caught a stink bug and has eaten the guts out. We can now see through the shell of the bug. It's kinda cool. Thank you Fuzz Ball Wuzzy for picking our window. Please don't leave and make me search out another spider friend for the boys. Thank you ever so much.
One more mentioning: If you ever worry that the cigarette industry is going out of business with all the million dollar settlements, don't worry. South Korea alone is supporting them. I'm not kidding. These people smoke like chimneys. I don't think they are up to date on the cancer risks and knowledge. I miss Amercia and all the laws and banning of smokers. It's not smog around here.. it's cigarette smoke! Oh my lands. So far, it's been the worst part of adjusting to life here.
3 comments:
That chicken story made me laugh. I can hear Cole begging to stay in, and I can see Brad trying a bite of whatever you give him. Crazy Americans picking the only hot thing on the menu.
Those backpacks are awesome! That's a really cute picture of them too. That black eye Cole has is impressive. (Do your kids ever not have a black eye?)
And as long as Fuzz Ball Wuzzy is around, this sister won't visit. Ugh.
Sounds like you are having fun! Maybe Allie should move to Korea -- she probably wouldn't eat any of the food, but she'd LOVE that everything is served with pickles (her favorite!).
Love the backpacks and purse -- they'll come in handy while you're exploring the country!
That spider is smart -- he picked the only family in the building that would LOVE that they could watch him!
Hey Jen,
You're not exactly selling me on the whole remote-to-Korea thing. But at least if we end up there I'll have a reference of things NOT to do/eat. ;)
We miss you!
Post a Comment