Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Deep Thoughts by Jack McHandy

I don't mean to joke, but I love the following questions Cole has asked within the past month. I love that he wants to learn more about God and is trying to really grasp the understanding behind these questions. I am thankful for those men and women in his Children's Church who have helped us teach him. I am thankful for the prayers said for our boys by family and friends. My biggest goal as a mom is for both of the boys to know and love our Lord. I will celebrate like no other the day they accept Him into their hearts. I hope I have answered Cole's questions in a proper way with biblical truth in a 4 year old understanding. Our actual conversations:

"Why was Jesus born?" He was born to save us from our sins
"How do you get to heaven?" First you have to love God with all your heart and ask Him to live in you. You have to understand the gift he gave us with Jesus. When our bodies get old and they don't work anymore, God will take our spirit to Heaven.
"Why do our bodies get old?" They just do, everything here on earth ages.
"Do you come back?" No, and you will not want to come back.
"I don't want you to go, I will miss you" I hope I'm not going anytime soon. I want to stay here with you, Brad and Daddy as long as I can. You will want me to go, and I want you to go to Heaven too.
"Are there fish in heaven?" Heaven is full of all the best things
"Can I take a rocket ship there to visit you?" No, the only way there is through Jesus.
"Your daddy will be sad if you go to heaven" Yes, He'll be sad here on earth, but not when we are in heaven together.
"But not GeGe because her body is not getting old" - I love that you bring it back to the 4 year old level ;-)
"Why were those men mean to Jesus when he was on the cross?" They were mean to him because they didn't believe who he was. They were being mean like our sins are to God.
"What is a sin?" When we don't listen and obey God, that is a sin
"Why did they put holes in his hands and spiky things on his head?" They were torturing him, they didn't want him to get away, they wanted to kill him.
"Why did they put him in the hole and cover it with the rock?" He died on the cross and that is how they buried him, in a tomb. But the best part is that he rose 3 days later! He lives. That's why we celebrate Easter. Easter is when he rose out of the tomb.

No comments: