Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Young & The Restless

In May 07 I got a call to come home, my grandfather was at the end. He was sick for a long time and things kept getting worse. The family opted to stop aggressive treatment and let God's will be done.

Keith was gone TDY, so I packed the boys up and somehow made it to Texas via airplane. (two car seats, a stroller, two checked bags and a backpack full of things to keep you entertained) Cole peed all over the place during takeoff, Brad had to sit in my lap, nowhere to change his diaper... I wish I were nicer to traveling families during my working days. I really had NO idea of what was involved!! Oh - and on the way home we were delayed 6 hours in BWI, Brad learned to walk in the terminal, and they lost our luggage. I didn't even care, God knew I couldn't carry another stinking thing to the car in the rain anyway!

Making it home in time to say goodbye was worth every effort required. I don't know how much of Papa you will remember Cole. You know him from pictures and the sick man in the hospital. He loved you and Brad. He was a hard worker who had his vices, but loved his family with all his heart. He and Grandma Florence saved their money and were able to take the ENTIRE family on cruises and all inclusive vacations. I have such great memories of those trips.

My babysitter got Aunt Kimi and I hooked on The Young & The Restless one summer. I hope you don't know what that is, but it's a soap opera. We would watch it everyday and plan daily activities around it. I knew every story line for over 20 years! Papa and Florence would watch it too - nothing like hashing up a good conversation over Cricket and Phillip vs. Nina and Jill with your grandparents!! I loved that show, and I loved the silly bond I got to share with him over it. I quit watching it for your dad's sake. Really, garbage in, garbage out. But my heart will always hold a soft spot for that show and the bonds behind it. I miss you Papa.

No comments: