Friday, March 21, 2008

Marty The Cat

Cole got a cat for an early 4th birthday present. His dad is such a sucker for his little man. We were showing him pictures of labs, goldens, and german shepards. We thought about getting him a bigger dog (Keith doesn't consider Mickey and Merlin as dogs) Honestly, they are terrible around children. They don't trust kids, rightfully so, and I don't trust them. My little rats will nip and bite if given the chance. We would show Cole picture after picture and he replied with "I don't like them, I want a cat". Cole held the kitten they had for adoption and in one statement of "I want to take her home", we were signing the papers. Actually, there's a little more back story - but Steve Thomas is the main perpetrator in our cat ownership!

We adopted her from the Humane Society in Nampa and she was the cutest in the cage. We brought her home and Cole fell in love. I mean l.o.v.e. He says "I love her so much" constantly. We gave him the option of naming her. He would change it daily. She was known as Palm Tree, Lizard, Mustache Cow, and Tiger. In fact, she didn't have a permanent name for the first month! We called her cat for the most part. Ashley came up with Marty. That's the name of the zebra in the movie Madagascar. She does have a zebra-eske belly. So, Marty stuck because it was easier than Palm Tree and I didn't want the vet to think we were WAY off our rockers when I made an appointment. I also decided to let him handle her in his own way so she adjusted to it. Well, adjusted she has.

Now, she's not the cutest anymore (I kinda wonder where we got that original idea), and she's not the smartest (she loves water, tolerates baths, and toe nail clippings), but she's GREAT with the boys. They play with her and I often think "why doesn't she scratch their eyes out?" The boys carry her around by the armpits. That was cute when she was small, but now that she's almost fully grown it causes her back legs to be drug along the ground. She never once meows in pain. They chase her and fall on top of her. By that I mean they CRUSH her. She never once tries to scratch her way out. She's tossed around and toys are hurled at her, and she accepts it as play. Marty just purrs and purrs. She loves them. I have told several people she is flat out dumb. Maybe she's smarter than I give her credit for. She knows this is how the boys show their love and interest. Marty Cat accepts them just as they accept her.

No comments: