I was told Brad's hair would be popular. I was warned the people here will want to touch him. I've seen them stare. I've witnessed all the grabbing and waving.
Today, a girl picked him up and carried him off - right in front of me!
We were at the park tonight and I was standing right under the playground equipment. These older girls were squealing and pointing like he was a rock star. It caused so much attention a lady who was bilingual came over to tell me what they were saying. They finally got up and were on the playground equipment trying to chase them and corner the boys. I felt so bad for them ten feet above my head. They tried their best English asking for their name. I told Brad to say "hello" in Korean and he did. They went CRAZY with delight. The girl who picked him up was a teenager. It turns out she was carrying him over to show her friends. She didn't mean any harm, but my heart dropped!
I am going to have to learn some polite Korean for please don't try to kidnap my youngest child. Cole was cute trying to protect him. He got between them and Brad and kept saying "no, no, no" The girls were excited he was talking to them.
Interesting night. I guess I will have to become the rude American. So far several people have come to the door, but I refuse to answer when Keith's not home. I know they hear us and they stay at the door for at least 3 minutes... just ringing (actually there's a camera at the door, so I can see them and it plays a cute little chime song. All of the electronics play a cute song. A pretty chime when the dishes are done, a happy song when the wash is finished. So much nicer then those awful buzzers back in the States. "BUZZ YOUR CLOTHES ARE DRY") I think it's so you will want to open the door and be pleasant to the strange man standing there. Sorry Charlie.
So far we know how to say hello/goodbye: Ahn-nyong ha-say-yo!
We know the name of our apartments : Pus-co
And we know what the elevator says when it gets to our floor: Sham Shing Mada
That's about it. I keep asking Keith over and over how to say please and thank you, but I keep forgetting. I took 4 years of Spanish lessons to tackle that small feat. We'll see how much I can learn in 11 months. Now, I'm off to tuck in my boys and deadbolt my door. Crazy Rude American.
7 comments:
Be that crazy rude American! I would have flipped out but I know you were going insanely crazy when they picked up Brad. Glad you didn't hurt them : )
That was from me, Wendy by the way...not Jason
It's kind of funny that you're going to learn "Please don't kidnap my youngest child" before you learn "thank you." Cole is so sweet. What a great big brother.
Oh, and I sooo wish we had happy chimes for everything in America. I think that would make us happier. And your elevator talks to you?? It's like you're the Jetsons or something.
Don't panic Jen, they would totally bring Brad back after they try to feed him spaghetti.;)
Hope you enjoy the 11 months in the Pus-co.
I am cracking up at your stories! I love how I can totally see you as I read them.
This totally cracks me up!! You keep up the "rude American" thing...I wouldn't open the door either :)
Post a Comment