Sunday, August 23, 2009

Home School Week 1

Last week we started school in building 104 room 302. The first few days Cole and I worked during Brad's nap. We adjusted our time and Brad joined the fun on Thursday and Friday. I'm still testing the waters to see where Cole is at academically. The workbook we're following has been mostly math and number reading/writing. We've done puzzles and other "shelf work" together, colored, and flash cards. We've started our Handwriting book and soon will start our reading.

Working with Brad has been a challenge for me. It's a little frustrating seeing how much he doesn't know. I realize it's early and he's young, so all that should change. But Brad has other ideas when it comes to following directions. Heaven help us.

We should be getting a call soon to let us know whether or not Cole has a school slot available. I'm nervous about that call. We're set on homeschooling, but it would be easier to hear there isn't a slot for him. I think I am just doubting if I can sustain this for an entire year. I'm worried I won't have him ready for 1st grade and am doing him a disservice. Is he missing out on an opportunity to go to school or would he be missing an opportunity to try homeschooling? Is he missing out on more time with friends or would he be missing out on traveling and spending time with his Dad?

I can do this! I will do this! And whatever I miss, he can quickly catch up right? RIGHT? Whew.

Overall, I think I really like it. The best part is.... after only a week of working, Cole has become MUCH more affectionate towards me. He wants to cuddle and hug. This is great. If it weren't for the whole learning issue, I would home school forever ;-)

4 comments:

Kim said...

You're doing great. I'm proud of you for taking the challenge on! If enrolling in school means he'll miss out on the EXPERIENCE of living abroad, stick with homeschooling. Don't miss those memories and chances to see and do everything while you guys are over there because of attendance policies.

And don't worry Jen - you can't mess him up too bad. He's young, he'll get over it :) And don't worry about that Brad either. Surfers don't need things like diplomas.

Jen McD said...

I was feeling great till the last sentence.

Wendy said...

Jen I admire you. I don't know if I could homeschool Cara at least, we are so much alike and butt heads all the time. So snaps to you (I just rewatched Legally blonde)!
With that said, Jolly phonics is what they use here to teach reading and it works and the kids like it. Look it up. If you can't find it and are interested, I can send you the stuff. Just let me know!

I'm Erin. said...

Keep it up mama! You're doing fine, and you certainly wont be doing any damage!
Remember that the biggest thing they learn in the 3 year old class is how to sit still and sing some songs, so don't be too hard on Brad. All in good time & all in God's timing!
Miss you!