Monday, August 10, 2009

The Stinky Family

Today I tried to tackle the laundry. Keith showed me how to operate the new washer/dryer in our apartment. It's pretty complicated. The dryer takes all day - not kidding. It took us all day to finish ONE load. A friend here told me that she just takes hers to the laundry mat on base once a week. Sounds simple enough. I loaded up the van with clothes and kids and left. What a horrible idea.

I got three loads started and took the boys outside to run around while we waited. However, people smoke like it's going out of style over here. And, I suddenly remembered I was allergic to cigarette smoke. My nose became a faucet, and was was sneezing so often I couldn't yell at the boys for nearly running in the hole the construction crew was digging. We headed inside and then I got a stomach ache. I proceeded to use the restroom, only to find out as I was leaving, it was the men's. The boys were fighting, Brad fell off the chair and hit his head on the floor, they cried for everything in the vending machines, there was no a/c, and the changer wouldn't take my perfectly straight five dollar bill. To think of doing this every week makes me want to cry. There has to be another way. Until I figure it out, we will be known as the stinky family wearing the same dirty clothes for weeks straight.




Day two of laundry at the Mat on base. This time I enlisted help. He put Brad to sleep and made sure I stayed out of the men's room. Thanks honey! Please notice the sweat on Cole's head and on Keith's shirt. I'm not kidding when I say it was HOT in there!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Jen, so sorry for the terrible experience. The british washers and dryers are bad too. What is with these other countries? Maybe you should bribe them with movies or games at the laundry mat?

I'm Erin. said...

Sounds like you'll need to do a small load every day-- maybe run the drier overnight??
I would do anything to avoid the laundr-o-mat!!

MelissaK said...

That is depressing. I would have thought their dryers would be way better than ours!