Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Oh My Lands

We made it! Half a world away and we're slowly adjusting to the differences.

It's been a long journey to get here. I'm sure I'll go back and journal it when I find all that extra time. It might be better to write about the plane ride later when I've had a chance to forget all the "fun". We were delayed in Dallas for 4 hours and Brad threw 3 full out temper tantrums on the plane. Once we were off, it didn't get better. We waited in the Swine Flu line, the Passport line, downstairs to collect luggage, the Customs line, and then the bus line. After the almost 2 hour bus ride, awake for 24 hours straight, we made it HOME. It was all worth it to see the boys attack their Daddy. They missed him and couldn't quit saying it. It was pretty cute. We're right where we need to be.

I should have known if one of the kids would give me an issue it would be Brad. Poor kid. Cole did great on the plane and even made a friend. It's Brad and his obsession of the moment (OOTM), those dang little lego men. He cried when they fell, cried when he wanted a different one, cried when he wanted Cole's, cried just to cry. He slept through every meal they served on the plane so when he woke up he was hungry... when the food came, asleep.

We've been here for 3 days and the biggest difference I've noticed is how self indulgent Americans are. These people are so friendly, happy, and hard workers. They do with less, live with less (space, "things", laws - I'm talking about the driving around here!) less of everything and it works. Saying that, you can walk 100 yards in any direction and find ANYTHING you want. So they work harder and faster to cater to you. They know you can go right next door. True Story: Keith called our landlady to get our internet fixed and 10 minutes later he was at our door.

Driving: Good Heavens. It's worse than watching preschoolers play at the park. It's a near wreck every moment. Just waiting for someone to get hurt. I haven't seen a policeman yet. Everything is on camera, they'll mail you a ticket. So if people have someplace they need to be, then you can go through a red light. They park where ever they want to - in the street, on the curb, sidewalk, behind someone else. People zip around on their motorcycles with infants in their arms. They must think I'm crazy with my fancy car seats. To top it off, Keith bought a right seated van. I'm driving on the other side! It's all backwards. You reach for the seatbelt on the wrong side. I put on my blinker and the wipers come on. I've almost ripped the blinker off the side thinking it was my shifter. The emergency brake is by the door, not in the middle. Don't even get me started with the rearview mirror. To top if off, right in front of the main gate is a little section lovingly refered to as "the triangle of death". Yep. I'll be practicing on these roads with my children in the back. Lovely. The parking is the killer. Someone has come up with the smallest possible mathmatical measurement for parking spots. You are suppose to back into the spots. There's cars and pillars all over the place. They don't call them bumpers for no reason at all! It's my least favorite thing to do.

Our apartment is very nice. Keith was so cute to have it all ready and clean for us. He said he bought a new tv for me. I should have guessed he also treated me to a Bose surround sound. He spoils me so. I'm adjusting to the hardwood floors. My feet are sore from walking in the house! (no shoes inside please) And, the mess! Our feet stay black. I went and bought a mop sweeper, but there's no way to keep up with the dust. It's very visible from the dark wood. I miss my Dyson. Sweet Bluebell.

Oh, Keith did buy this floor fan that I'm in love with. It's so powerful. I'm already sad to leave her here. She's a 220, not made for the USA.

We're almost finished unpacking. Keith did a great job nesting, but I've had to slightly rearrange a few things. I wasn't prepared for all the gadgets and buttons in this place to be in Korean. Keith is teaching me "the third button press twice" "the lights are this button" "just don't touch this one". I've had to wake him up in the middle of the night to find things or tell me how to work stuff. I couldn't turn the water in the kitchen sink on. Who would have thought you kick a pad at your feet to turn it on and off. I'm already wondering how long I will be kicking the cabinets back in the States. We have a parking garage and elevator. The door is electronic and Cole already knows the passcode on it. He's really cute. As he opens the door he says "And don't tell anyone!" I'm working on putting the boys clothes away and I'm baffled that I brought so many. I'm also confused as to what size is who's... My little Brad is almost caught up to big brother. I think he's grown 2 inches since we've been here. There's been two separate instances in the middle of the night, I thought Brad was Cole just looking at his size.

Speaking of the boys, they are attention grabbers. We went to Home Plus (said home prush - actually sang and broadcasted LOUDLY throughout the store) and they were followed, ohhhed and pointed at. I'm not sure if it's their light hair and features or the way they are behaving. It very well could be the latter. Home Plus has some interesting items in it. My favorite are the shirts in English that don't make any sense. "You call this MODERN. ???"

I'll have to show you pictures of all the funny things we've seen, but for now I must finish unpacking. Keith works tonight so I need to make sure the kids are alive when he gets home.

1 comment:

I'm Erin. said...

Whew! You've been busy! I'm not sure I would ever drive anywhere with parking like that. And you have got to buy some of those shirts-- it's so funny.
Tell Brad to stop growing so quickly! Glad you at least physically survived the flight out, even it you decide you can't ever return to the US b/c you'll hvae to fly back. Miss you!